You’ve invested significant amounts of time, money and other resources into a robust SEO strategy for your business, but unless you’ve also invested in an effective rank tracking software program, you may be throwing it all away.
Rank tracking software allows you to quickly check your search engine rankings and identify high-performing keywords to generate traffic—and business—for your site. It offers a deep dive into your digital performance data, including comparisons to competitors, performance changes over time and geographically specific search rankings. Armed with this critical information, you can refine your SEO approach for maximum results.
With online marketing becoming an increasingly important component of most businesses’ operations, choosing the best rank tracking software for your needs can feel a bit overwhelming. Fortunately, we’ve tested the features and crunched the numbers to reveal the six best ranking programs on the market today.
Advanced Web Ranking (AWR)
Founded in a tiny office in 2002, Advanced Web Ranking was born out of the need for a Mac-based rank tracking solution at a time when none existed. In the 16 years since then, the humble start-up has grown to more than 24,000 active users in 170 countries.
AWR uses a human search emulation mechanism and geo-located proxy servers to deliver results, revising its search engine definitions every 24 hours to ensure that rankings are always accurate and up-to-date.
- Supports special characters in keywords and gathers ranking data for more than 130 countries
- Easily accommodates complex projects that encompass large keyword sets, multiple search engines and websites
- Allows for customized local SEO ranking reports, including web search, organic and local, places and map listings, local knowledge
- Provides access to both desktop and mobile searches
- Shows how the presence of other types of content, such as images, videos, carousels or accelerated mobile pages, influence the visibility of local listings
- Offers a white label version of all results for sharing with clients under your company’s name and logo
- Allows users to customize reports with relevant data for each client or project
- Provides flexibility in formatting, with data available for download in PDF, CSV or directly into your in-house data management tool
- Includes an unlimited number of users at your organization, with the option to established layered account access based on project role
- Incorporates traffic statistics with rankings and keyword performance metrics from Search Console and AdWords Keyword Planner for deeper SEO insight
Advanced Web Ranking offers users a generous 30-day free trial—no payment information required. Pricing is tiered based on features and organization size:
- Starter ($49/month): Designed for start-ups; includes 2,000 keywords
- Pro ($99/month): Designed for in-house teams; includes 7,000 keywords
- Agency ($199/month): Designed for agencies; includes 14,500 keywords
- Enterprise ($499/month): Designed for big data; includes 35,500 keywords
Rank Ranger’s defining characteristic is its extreme customizability, allowing users to add custom parameters to SEO metrics like rank or visibility and weigh them per SEO outlook; combine multiple sets of data such as rank, traffic and pay-per-click for unique graphs; and import their own internal data for one-of-a-kind insights.
- Provides comprehensive daily rank reports on keyword rank on more than 500 search engines worldwide
- Tracks keywords, landing pages and their correlating social media activity on eight social sites, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Reddit, for a more complete performance picture
- Offers side-by-side comparison with competitors in the Top 20 organic search engine results for your keywords
- Google SERP Features add-on covers Knowledge Panel, Carousel, Featured Snippets, Local Pack, Image blocks, News blocks and Paid Ad data
- Marketing KPI Dashboard identifies correlations between AdWords performance trends and website traffic, conversions and transactions
- Proprietary visibility algorithm conveniently calculates website visibility scores for tracked sites and visually compare competitors’ SEO visibility with your site
After a free 30-day trial, Rank Ranger offers three packages for subscribers:
- Basic ($69/month): Designed for small businesses; includes 10 daily rank tracking campaigns, 350 keywords, 1,000 links tracked and 10 client dashboards
- Standard ($119/month): Designed for agencies; includes 20 daily rank tracking campaigns, 800 keywords, 1,000 links tracked and 20 client dashboards
- Premium ($399/month): Designed for “excellence,” per the company; includes 50 daily rank tracking campaigns, 2,500 keywords, 1,000 links tracked and 50 client dashboards
Founder Kevin Zhou created SerpBook in 2011, primarily as a tool to track the rankings of his own micro-niche sites. Relatively few rank tracking programs were publicly available at the time, so SerpBook quickly gained an impressive following. Its intuitive interface and responsive customer support have allowed it to maintain its popularity over the years.
- Allows for granular analysis with tracking by country, city or zip code
- Provides exact keyword search volumes from Google Keyword Planner
- Viewkeys feature makes it easy to share data with clients or other trusted parties
- White label reports can be customized with your logo and shared as CSV or PDF files
- Shows live keyword status with Spyglass verification
- Tracks Google’s new local “Snack Pack” and other local listings
You can test-drive SerpBook with a free 14-day trial; if you like it, five pricing options are available, all of which include bi-hourly updates:
- Personal ($18/month): For individuals or start-ups; includes 50 keywords and 150 on-demand updates
- Professional ($34/month): For websites expanding their keyword efforts; includes 200 keywords and 600 on-demand updates
- Ultimate ($88/month): For growing teams or websites relying on organic traffic; includes 1,000 keywords and 3,000 on-demand updates
- Enterprise ($176/month): For medium to large teams and high organic traffic sites; includes 2,000 keywords and 6,000 on-demand updates
- Enterprise Plus ($364/month): For very large teams or sites analyzing big data; includes 5,000 keywords and 15,000 on-demand updates
SEOprofiler’s parent company is 21-year industry veteran Axandra GmbH, which developed the first website promotion tool for Apple computers and the well-known Windows SEO software tool iBusinessPromoter. Its cloud-based Internet marketing software tool is basic but reliable, as shown by its more than 158,000 satisfied users.
- Alerts and Opportunities feature shows keywords for which your website is listed on the second results page, along with the potential traffic increase from moving to the first results page
- Website Audit tool checks your web pages for errors that can have a negative influence on search engine rankings
- Ranking Monitor tracks performance in Google Mobile and Google Local
- Top 10 Optimizer tool helps optimize web pages for mobile search results
- Social media monitor tracks conversations about your company and products on social media for powerful reputation management support
- Link Profiler tool analyzes your site’s backlink structure and identifies key link targets
SEOprofiler’s current promotion is a 30-day trial of its Smart program for $1. Should you choose to continue with the service, available plans are as follows:
- Standard ($69.95/month): Includes 500 keywords, audit of 20,000 pages, 10 projects and one user
- Smart ($99.95/month): Includes 1,000 keywords, audit of 50,000 pages, 50 projects, five users and link disinfection tool
- Professional ($249.95/month): Includes 2,500 keywords, audit of 150,000 pages, 150 projects, 15 users and link disinfection tool
- Enterprise ($999.95/month): Includes 10,000 keywords, audit of 750,000 pages, unlimited projects and users and link disinfection tool
The simple, easy-to-use interface of Authority Labs’ rank tracking software is designed to appeal to the average business owner, although it can be scaled to meet the needs of larger, more experienced SEO marketers as well.
- Tracks domains in every country and language offered by Google, Yahoo! and Bing
- Now Provided report combines rankings, Google Analytics, volume and competition data to highlight important keyword opportunities
- Tracks desktop, mobile and local rankings together for side-by-side comparison
- Monitors competitors’ domains and keywords and compares them to yours so you always know where you stand
- Provides access to unlimited users
- Pro, Pro Plus and Enterprise plans include white label reports for customization with your brand
Once you’ve explored Authority Labs’ features with the free 30-day trial, choose from four pricing tiers:
- Plus ($49/month): Built for small businesses; includes 250 keywords and 50 domains
- Pro ($99/month): The most popular plan; includes 1,000 keywords and 100 domains
- Pro Plus ($225/month): Ideal for consultants; includes 2,500 keywords and 300 domains
- Enterprise ($450/month): Best for agencies; includes 5,000 keywords and unlimited domains
SEO Rank Monitor
Founded in 2009, cloud-based SEO Rank Monitor bills itself as the “most complete SEO rank tracking available.” It was originally developed for self-use by two SEO marketers who then took their successful platform to the open market. The company completed a massive upgrade in 2014, resulting in the Rank Monitor “2.0” version available today.
- Provides comprehensive mobile ranking data, which accounts for nearly half of all online searches, to help businesses optimize their sites for desktop and mobile use
- Easy-to-read dashboard shows the overall success of each campaign with crystal-clear detail, including current rankings for specific keywords or keyword groups, ranking change between any two dates and key ranking factor data
- Drag-and-drop interface allows easy creation of branded white label reports
- Advanced filtering allows you to organize results by search engine, date, keyword, keyword group, or AdWords data like search volume, CPC and competition
- Incorporates date-specific “events” to track the effects of changes
Among the most budget-friendly ranking programs of its class, SEO Rank Monitor offers a 14-day free trial, after which the following plans are available:
- Personal ($19/month): Includes 100 keywords, one campaign and tracking for three competitors
- Pro ($49/month): Includes 1,000 keywords, 10 campaigns and tracking for 30 competitors
- Pro Plus ($99/month): Includes 2,500 keywords, 25 campaigns and tracking for 75 competitors
- Enterprise ($199/month): Includes 5,000 keywords, 75 campaigns and tracking for 375 competitors